American Armchair League of America
Please login to ensure the most complete experience possible. To access the forums, click the 'Home' Link on the navigation bar up top. The homepage is the 'Portal' that the website defaults to.

This is a Playstation, sim-style community. Cheap, lobby-style tactics are not tolerated. Once logged in, you will have access to all sub forums hidden from guests, as well as images and links. Let us know if you have any questions.

AALoA Madden Commish: the_EDJ
Madden co-commish: GoingCommandoAZ, King_Hippo72

Fortnite Commish: lArlstol, GRIZZ, the_EDJ

Destiny Commish: Tonethewellknown

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to ensure the most complete experience possible. To access the forums, click the 'Home' Link on the navigation bar up top. The homepage is the 'Portal' that the website defaults to.

This is a Playstation, sim-style community. Cheap, lobby-style tactics are not tolerated. Once logged in, you will have access to all sub forums hidden from guests, as well as images and links. Let us know if you have any questions.

AALoA Madden Commish: the_EDJ
Madden co-commish: GoingCommandoAZ, King_Hippo72

Fortnite Commish: lArlstol, GRIZZ, the_EDJ

Destiny Commish: Tonethewellknown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
NCAA 11, 12, 14; Madden 15, 18 Champ
Yards : 7633
Swagger : 37
LocationOmaha, NE
Fave NFL Team : Chicago Bears
Fave NCAA Team : Nebraska Cornhuskers

Hail Varsity - Season 1 Empty Hail Varsity - Season 1

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:35 am
Hail Varsity - Season 1 Hailvarsitylogo1
Hail Varsity - Season 1 201111250878_fbc_iowa_at_nebraska
Welcome to Hail Varsity. Your one-stop shop for all things Nebraska football. Throughout the season we'll take a look at how your favorite team has progressed. What's gone right, what's gone wrong, and the surprises that have kept us on the edge of our seats for so long. For further coverage, don't forget to follow us at hailvarsity.com.

This season, there was no spring game to set extraordinary expectations among incoming players and progressing veterans. Instead Nebraskans had to sit at their computer and spread rumors to pass the time. Thankfully, before fans were about to absolutely burst, Adidas dropped confirmation that these were Nebraska's alternate uniforms set for the Wisconsin game:
Na na nana na na na naaa indeed. Final Husker fans had something to shout off on.

And that was the summer Husker fans had. No spring depth chart. No clue how players were developing as coach Eric Jeanneret, dubbed the_EDJ around these parts, devised a way to maintain Husker glory among the AALoA ranks.

Working with a young, but veteran roster. Nebraska returns multiple AALoA Hall of Famers in DT Baker Steinkuhler, DE Cameron Meredith, a Heisman winner (2010) QB Taylor Martinez, and are also two time national champs achieving the pinnacle in NCAA Football 11 and NCAA Football 12 Online Dynasties. It's easy to see why expectations, like the cornstalks, are running high in Lincoln this summer.

Offense
Key Players
QB Taylor Martinez
RB Rex Burkhead
Hail Varsity - Season 1 11470304-large
It's no secret the focus of Nebraska's offense centers around T-Magic and Superman. The speed and versatility of the dynamic duo allow the pair to execute a power running game, a traditional option attack, and a spread, read option attack to keep opponents guessing. Most important of all may be the chemistry the two share as they're usually on the same page on where the ball is going before the rest of the offense receives their audibles. With this being Rex Burkhead's swan song, expect a push for him to win his own Heisman this year. The rest of the offense is interchangeable with 3 even backup RBs fighting for time in the triple option and spelling Burkhead when he needs a blow. The WR group is equally interchangeable among the top 5 all sharing similar speed and hands. Only Kenny Bell figured to be the toptarget after a breakout freshman year. Along the offensive line Tyler Moore, the standout freshman took a leave of absence going home to tend to high school girlfriend drama (is she pregnant? with that other guys baby?). The first true freshman to ever start on the Nebraska offensive line in his first game had a red-shirt to use dealing a blow to the line's depth (yes I really did red-shirt my best lineman to follow what's happening in real life).

Defense
Key Players
MLB Will Compton
CB Mohammed Seisay
DT Baker Steinkuhler
DE Cameron Meredith
Hail Varsity - Season 1 Mo-Seisay-698x394
The bigger story about the defense focuses about not who is here, but on who is being replaced. Lavonte David, Jared Crick, and Alfonzo Dennard have moved on to the NFL. Three major hits to a stout defense. Compton will finally get to prove he can captain a defense, if he can stay healthy. Seisay is a JuCo stud in the grain of the former Lavonte David, he will man the 2nd CB spot. Where Nebraska excels though is in ridiculous depth at LB and Safety. The one surprise that coach EDJ let slip was the experimenting with new defensive packages to maximize the strengths of the defense. Including a 3-5-3 look, 3-3-5, and a hybrid SS/LB position Peso-back look making a return. The safety battle expected between Daimion Stafford, PJ Smith, and Corey Crawford means Nebraska will do everything they can to get their stout secondary on the field.
Special Teams
Key Players
K/P Brett Maher
KR Ameer Abdullah
Hail Varsity - Season 1 Thumbs_201111250034_fbc_iowa_at_nebraska
Nowhere in the nation will you find a fanbase that loves their kickers like Nebraska does. SCour NFL rosters to find the number of NFL Kickers and Punters that dot the league. Brett Maher will be the next great one as he follows in Alex Henery's footsteps as a dual threat. Bursting onto the scene was Ameer Abdullah tearing up coverage units with big returns. Expect him to grow in the rule even further with a year under his belt.

Last edited by the_EDJ on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Hail Varsity - Season 1 Empty Re: Hail Varsity - Season 1

Southern Miss vs Nebraska
Hail Varsity - Season 1 Hi-res-151124117_crop_650x440
Nebraska beats Southern Miss. Twice.

Last night I played the game, after getting punched in the mouth and falling behind 17-0, I stormed back and held off for a 42-30 win. I saved my highlights and exited and the game told me my Gameplay Tuner was out of date, so I tried to save it, it failed, so I said not to download it. Instead of uploading game results, I get shot straight back into the Main Menu and can't access Online Dynasty. The game acted like it didn't even register I was in a dynasty. Fuck.

So I played again this afternoon, and won 20-3. I chose not to save my highlights thinking that was causing issues again, and the game loads, and now registers that I did in fact play once already and had to restart a game. The kicker is, it uploaded my old highlights from the first game! Wow. So there highlights are showing the scoring plays from the game that never was. Jamal Turner and Quincy Enunwa didn't even score TDs in the official game! Go EA!

That first game was beautiful, Martinez was on fire with a Heisman-esque performance. Game 2...only the defense looked good.

Last edited by the_EDJ on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Nebraska vs UCLA
Cheap ass AI paves the way for a UCLA "upset" of Nebraska 28-31.

No less than 4 key players were injured for Nebraska throughout the game. Taylor Martinez was knocked out for 5 weeks. Kenny Bell was knocked out for the game as soon as he started making plays. Starting TE Ben Cotton was lost for 3 quarters in the beginning of the 3rd Quarter. All world DE Cameron Meredith was lost for 2 quarters. I don't know how many other players disappeared throughout. I almost burned a red shirt at DE because of fatigue/injuries forcing a weak LB to play DE.

On a key 3rd and 17... I actually forced a 3rd and 17 in the game... Wow... UCLA QB throws up a jump ball down the sideline. A UCLA player jumps out of bounds. It's called a catch. UCLA goes no huddle, and there's no review. I challenge before the snap. It's overruled. Sweet! So they move the ball 5 yards closer to the end zone. Uggh. UCLA of course scores to extend their lead to 17.

Down by 10 I go for it on 4th down at the end of the game and don't convert. UCLA fumbles the ball right back to me on a botched speed option after their QB broke 4 tackles he pitched it to nobody. I score this time to get within 3 with less than 2 minutes to go. INTERCEPTION. I'm back in the game, come out 5 Wide, 3 to right, two to the left. UCLA comes out in a 4-3 vs my 5 WR look and calls a double safety blitz as both safeties blatantly pack the box. So I audible one of my short routes deep hoping to get behind a LB. Which I do. I burned their MLB actually, so I lobbed thinking I just completed the ridiculous comeback. And the outside CB playing man on my far right receiver sprints downfield to cut off my WR slowing him down and picking me off to seal the game. Are you fucking kidding me?

With the loss of Martinez, Brion Carnes did play phenomenal. But that leaves me with 2 QBs. If Carnes gets hurt, I have a true freshman behind him. If Tommy Armstrong has to come in, Nebraska might have to play nothing but Wildcat just like 2 years ago versus Iowa State...

Last edited by the_EDJ on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 pm
Notre Dame vs Nebraska

Week 3. Nebraska has no comment on week 3.

Last edited by the_EDJ on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 pm
Nebraska vs Ole Miss
Hail Varsity - Season 1 6_107986
Nebraska rights the ship against Ole Miss and plays the predator instead of the prey. The initial game started off in a Hurricane Isaac-force downpour. Deep into the 2nd quarter, a flash of lightning erased the power grid, and the game was scheduled for a reset once the storm could pass.

In round 2 Nebraska built an early lead in part to a run game that was showing some momentum. Red Burkhead would punch it in, and Nebraska would steadily build their lead with a Brett Maher Field Goal. In the middle of the 2nd quarter, the Huskers flashed their heavily motion-based misdirection Flexbone and came out passing as soon as the defense collapsed on the formation prior to the snap. True Freshman Imani Cross, sitting at 4th on the RB depth chart, sprinted down the field getting behind the poor LB in man coverage to haul in a 75 yard TD pass.

Mississippi would finally get a counter punch in to score on a beautiful TD pass to beat the Nebraska zone. But Nebraska wouldn't sit still. Powering down the field with a mix of option and power running, Brion Carnes stared down a Rebel blitz on 3rd and short and audibled out of the doomed sprint option. Jamal Turner caught the signal, beat the press and caught a 39 yard TD pass to push the Nebraska lead back to 17. Only a garbage time Ole Miss TD would bring the score closer. And the game was in fact much closer than it appears. Ole Miss had two guaranteed TD passes sail 3 to 5 yards beyond the receivers grasp as Nebraska was caught with their pants down in zero coverage on multiple occasions. Thankfully the other plays resulted in sacks or hurried throws.

Final Score
Nebraska Cornhuskers 24
Ole Miss Runnin' Rebels 14

Player of the Game
QB Brion Carnes

Replacing a Heisman trophy caliber QB is no easy task. But Carnes has been more than up to the task. He did his best Martinez impersonation throwing two picks. But for much of the game he was spot on handling what the defense presented him. Though he doesn't have top end speed, he was still lethal with his legs ending with 77 yards rushing on 4 attempts with a long of 52. Through the air he went 8 of 13 passing for 181 yards and 2 TDs. He also avoided taking a single sack.
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:34 pm
Hail Varsity - Season 1 0
Why is Martinez grimacing? Well for one, he's sitting on his broken tailbone. And two, his backup, QB Brion Carnes has kept the offense from missing a beat going 2-0 as a starter. The restless fans in Lincoln can't stand the arm punts the QB launches in receivers general directions and have been chanting that he get benched for good. Never a dull moment in the middle of the corn field. A damning incite on how much is expected of the program.
Steel Pitt
Steel Pitt
NCAA 11, 13, 14 BCS Champ
Yards : 4180
Swagger : 85
LocationNew York
Fave NFL Team : Pittsburgh Steelers

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:35 pm
QB Contraversy?
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:37 pm
Steel Pitt wrote:QB Contraversy?
You've gotta ride the hot hand, and you can't argue with the early returns...
Plus, Carnes is related to THE Tommie Frazier. Maybe it's in the DNA?
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:04 pm
Wisconsin vs Nebraska

Nebraska Rolls as the Badgers Play Opossum
Hail Varsity - Season 1 421A0001_12_GR_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_UTY
Rallying around backup QB Brion Carnes, the Huskers continued to surge forward after their devastating loss to UCLA (seems Pitt's sliders produce realistic results after all...). Wisconsin deferred to the second half. Nebraska couldn't sustain a drive and quickly punted, followed by a Wisconsin punt.

As drives stalled, Nebraska found some momentum in the form of a Montee Ball fumble as Daimion Stafford knifed into the backfield to deliver a bone shattering blow to the Heisman candidate. With new life, the Huskers marched down the field to stall again. But were close enough for Brett Maher to boot a 49 yard field goal just above the cross bar. Wisconsin quickly counted as "Insert 5th Year Senior Transfer QB" threw a pass to TE Pederson who rumbled down the sideline to put the Badgers up 7-3.
Hail Varsity - Season 1 421A0001_9_GR_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_RYb
Nebraska was able to sustain a drive and punch in the ball on a 1 yard FB Dive. Daimion Stafford then turned the tables again with a big interception covering the TE Pederson. Earlier in the second quarter, Brion Carnes noticed a disturbing trend that Wisconsin was blitzing their MLB(s) every play without abandon. Nebraska offensive coordinator Tim Beck kept his eye on the alignment looking for opportunities. The attack was killing drives until Nebraska noticed the field opening up if Carnes could get an open receiver beating the one-on-one press on the edges. Quincy Enunwa shook his man first, but Carnes lofted the ball a step too far. Kenny Bell next pulled a Virginia Cavalier miracle and leaped up for a hitch route, caught his balance while the defender lost hold of his leg and sprinted free racing 73 yards to pay dirt. In the waning seconds of the second half, Carnes connected with Kenny Ball beating his man against the blitz to go 50 yards for the TD.
Hail Varsity - Season 1 421A0001_11_GR_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_GEx
Entering the 3rd Quarter, Wisconsin needed a score to get back in the game being down 7-24. On the first or second play, Transfer QB fired a ball right into Mohammed Seisay's hands who broke a tackle and returned the pick for a TD. Coach Degenerate then walked off the field after saluting the Nebraska bench. Whether that was a one finger salute or something more proper has not been confirmed.

Nebraska opted to run the clock out and just escape with a win. Former head coach Bret Bielema who was demoted to offensive coordinator resumed control the team and led a charge to come back. But it was not enough as the Huskers ate enough clock.

Final Score
Wisconsin Badgers 17
Nebraska Cornhuskers 34

Player of the Game
SS Daimion Stafford
This recognition could've easily gone to Kenny Bell with his big plays. But Stafford sparked the entire team with a Forced Fumble, an acrobatic interception, and a few big tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

Next week the Cornhuskers travel to the Horseshoe hoping to keep the streak alive. Martinez watch is at a whisper pitch and fans focus on the excellent game managing by Carnes. The fleet-footed QB may have to come back as a RB when he returns as Carnes may not hand the starting gig back over so easily.

And now to annoy entertain you until next week, get this stuck in your head... Post-Game Press Conference.

Last edited by the_EDJ on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:18 pm
Nebraska Dots the "I" in Victory Over Ohio State

Hail Varsity - Season 1 Nebraska_Ohio_State_Game_On_640_x_480
The showdown in Columbus started with a bang. On the opening kickoff, Kenny Bell raced up the middle before finding a lane to the edge of the field for a 105 yard TD return.
Hail Varsity - Season 1 Tumblr_m5ufzeYvlh1rp7had
Things went from bad to worse for Ohio State as a case of Madden NFL AI takes over blatantly screwing over BK_Buckeye. Late in the 1st quarter, Nebraska would pop a Buckeye ball carrier jarring the ball loose. Fat man Chase Rome would absorb the football and rumble down the field breaking no less than 3 tackles returning it for a TD. Ridiculous.

Getting the ball back after the Rome TD, Nebraska would finally sustain an offensive drive down the field. Something neither team could really do. On 3rd and Long, Ohio State would bring the pressure leaving their CBs on an island in one on one press coverage. While Kenny Bell got stuck to his right, Quincy Enunwa shook free and Brion Carnes would lob in an easy 25 yard TD pass to extend the Nebraska lead further. For much of the game, offense came at a premium, and neither team could really deliver.

The 3rd quarter only served to pad the Nebraska lead. Rex Burkhead would pound in a short 2 yard TD run. In desperation mode, Ohio State would finally find points with Braxton throwing to his TE Stoneburner. Nebraska would not threaten again. Ohio State would get a garbage time TD and a failed onside kick spelled the end for Ohio State as they simply ran out of time. Thankfully, the Husker's opposing coach was on the sideline until the end.

Final Score
Nebraska 28
Ohio State 14

Player of the Game
DT Baker Steinkuhler

Kenny Bell's name comes to mind, as does Rome's impressive recovery. But Steinkuhler helped neutralize the Buckeye's biggest threat, Braxton Miller. Miller found a ton of running room sending receivers deep and then taking off for an easy gain. Steinkuhler managed to sack the shifty QB 3 times in helping to end Ohio State drives.

Next week, Nebraska gets a bye as they prepare for the rest of their conference gauntlet. Taylor Martinez will return to practice, and plenty of media will be on hand to see who is taking first team snaps, Brion Carnes, or Taylor Martinez. Perhaps Martinez finds himself in the backfield at Running Back? Or split out at WR? Stay tuned for more info.
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:32 pm
Hail Varsity - Season 1 Fb_timeline_cover_nebraska1

Introducing you to the B1G Network's Big Ten Rewind. We bring to you, Ohio State's loss to Nebraska at the Horshoe. Enjoy.

For further coverage, follow the AALoA youtube feed here.
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:27 pm
Hail Varsity - Season 1 BTN-Nebraska
We're butting into your regularly scheduled replay of some game in 1984 nobody cares about. As we zoom into the heartland, it appears as though the sky is falling in Lincoln. Taylor Martinez returned to practice this week with an extra big tampon tailbone pad protruding from his practice pants to protect his healing tailbone. As the first team offense trotted out on to the field, both Martinez and Brion Carnes stopped and just kinda stared at each other awkwardly not knowing what to do. Ever the team leader, Rex Burkhead excused himself from the huddle and told Martinez to try HB out. Here are the results:
With Michigan coming in to Lincoln this week, what do the Huskers have planned for the Wolverines? Things could get interesting come Saturday. Stay tuned for more coverage.
Steel Pitt
Steel Pitt
LocationNew York

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:40 pm
the_EDJ wrote:
Hail Varsity - Season 1 BTN-Nebraska
We're butting into your regularly scheduled replay of some game in 1984 nobody cares about. As we zoom into the heartland, it appears as though the sky is falling in Lincoln. Taylor Martinez returned to practice this week with an extra big tampon tailbone pad protruding from his practice pants to protect his healing tailbone. As the first team offense trotted out on to the field, both Martinez and Brion Carnes stopped and just kinda stared at each other awkwardly not knowing what to do. Ever the team leader, Rex Burkhead excused himself from the huddle and told Martinez to try HB out. Here are the results:
With Michigan coming in to Lincoln this week, what do the Huskers have planned for the Wolverines? Things could get interesting come Saturday. Stay tuned for more coverage.

Nice job on the practice video. Martinez at RB could be scary. It reminds me of when Posky had Denard Robinson at QB, RB, WR, KR and PR. It made picking a defense tough when you see 2QB, 2WR, 1TE, 1RB as the personnel and you have no idea where that second QB is going to lineup.
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:12 pm
Michigan vs Nebraska

Nebraska hosted Michigan this weekend hoping to exact revenge for the embarrassing ass-whoopin' the Wolverines placed on them in Ann Arbor last year. The Sea of Red was buzzing as well as Nebraska threw tradition out the window and debuted their new alternate uniforms showing off a black helmet, and a lot of black accents to boost the ferocious appearance of the Blackshirt defense. Add that to the exclusive practice report that broke earlier in the week showing off Martinez' move to Running Back, Memorial Stadium felt as if it would collapse under its own hype. On the other sideline, the Wolverines were using Devin Gardner at QB with Denard Robinson ruled out with a bad back.

Hail Varsity - Season 1 421A0001_14_GR_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_gfN
The Huskers had to receive to open the game. With a heavy dose of a running game, the Big Red offense stalled inside the 5 yard line resulting in a field goal by Brett Maher. The surprise of those opening moments was Taylor Martinez didn't step on the field once. Carnes was at QB. Burkhead, Abdullah, Heard, and Cross rotated at HB. To open the Wolverines first offensive drive, Michigan would in turn march right down the field striking with a big 30 yard TD run.
Hail Varsity - Season 1 421A0001_15_GR_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_evx
Both teams traded punts back and forth, unable to establish any momentum. Looking to run the 2 minute drill before halftime, Brion Carnes came out firing left and right. Carnes would find a swarming Michigan zone defense forcing the Nebraska QB to check down to every WR moving up the field slowly. From the 36 yard line, Jamal Turner slid by the safety over the middle and raced 64 yardsto put Nebraska up.
Hail Varsity - Season 1 421A0001_16_GR_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_hKw
The second half opened without much to note. The Wolverine offense remained dedicated to the ground game. But when it came to the passing game, Gardner was too skittish to find receiver's down field and would flee the collapsing pocket or throwing the ball away. Gardner would throw two interceptions on the day. And while only sacked 3 times, another 4 "runs" were sacks with the QB falling forward for less than a yard. Brion Carnes would throw his second TD pass as Kenny Bell ran a hitch, and an over-aggressive safety jumped the route, but was out of control and could not make a play on the ball.
Hail Varsity - Season 1 421A0001_17_GR_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_mIQ
To try and milk the clock a bit midway through the 4th quarter, the Huskers found large rushing lanes for Burkhead to spring through. The key play was an option where Carnes would keep it and dash up the sideline. The play would set up Kyler Reed for a TD pass on 3rd and long to put the Wolverines away for good. The crowd left the stadium without a single glimpse of Taylor Martinez at neither Quarterback nor Running Back.
Final Score
Michigan 7
Nebraska 24

Player of the Game
CB Mohammed Seisay

Carnes deserves a ton of credit. But it's Seisay who made 3 outstanding outstanding plays to stop 3 early Michigan drives that were threatening to blow the game open. Seisay picked off the one deep ball Gardner launched downfield. Blanketing a WR on a drag route, Seisay abandoned his assignment to sprint into the backfield to sack a scrambling Gardner. And nearing field goal range, Seisay tracked down a Michgan RB from behind stopping him just inches from the marker.
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:06 pm
Husker fans rejoice. Coach EDJ is taking Nebraska where they haven't been in a long, long time. With a wave of hard commitments in the last week, the Huskers have jumped into the Top 10 in the nation in recruiting. Look for ESPN to have the info released shortly. You can follow the coverage here.

Take a look at the class coming in, and expect it only to grow.
Hail Varsity - Season 1 HighSchoolTERecruit-ReceivingHail Varsity - Season 1 HighSchoolTERecruit-BlockingHail Varsity - Season 1 HighSchoolSSRecruitHail Varsity - Season 1 HighSchoolRBRecruitHail Varsity - Season 1 HighSchoolQBRecruitHail Varsity - Season 1 HighSchoolOGRecruitHail Varsity - Season 1 HighSchoolLBRecruit-1Hail Varsity - Season 1 HighSchoolWRRecruitHail Varsity - Season 1 HighSchoolPRecruitHail Varsity - Season 1 HighSchoolFBRecruit
Steel Pitt
Steel Pitt
LocationNew York

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:39 pm
That was quite a haul this week ... one 5*, four 4* and one 3* ... I think that week alone is probably better than any recruiting class I've pulled in the three years now we've been doing this online Dynasty. hahaha (but serious)

=============== #24 Nebraska Cornhuskers (6-2) ===============
In recruiting news, the following Nebraska targets have announced their decisions:
- (****) HB Adam Dobzinski has committed to Nebraska
- (****) LG John Higdon has committed to Nebraska
- (****) TE Robert Avery has committed to Nebraska
- (***) TE Anthony Smith has committed to Nebraska
- (****) SS Robert Ruffin has committed to Nebraska
- (*****) QB Brenton Beverly has committed to Nebraska
- (***) CB Mike McBride has committed to Washington
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:16 pm
Nebraska vs Michigan State
Hail Varsity - Season 1 421A0001_20_GR_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_FwU

Nebraska played a strong game. But turnovers kept Michigan State within striking distance which led to an intense game throughout. On the opening drive, Taylor Martinez stepped into the huddle. It would be his first game action in 8 weeks. And the result? Triple Option out of the I, Sparty targets Martinez, but FB Mike Marrow is rumbling up the middle of the field for a big 13 yard gain. Martinez immediately flipped the script and barked "No Huddle, No Huddle" to his teammates keeping Carnes on the bench. In control of the offense, and calling his own plays, Martinez marched the offense right down the field. Only an incomletion would stop the clock causing a gassed offense to replace itself with subs. In comes Carnes who pushes the offense further inside the red zone. On 3rd down, Carnes dropped back while scanning the defense. Options 1 and 2 were taken the defense was closing in. At the last second Taariq Evans would be open behind the coverage for a TD. Carnes 1, Martinez 0.
Hail Varsity - Season 1 421A0001_18_GR_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_riT
After the opening drive, Nebraska would shut down the Spartan offense. The follow up drive was all Carnes. While the drive would stall, the HUskers were sitting pretty looking at a 10-0 lead. Carnes 2, Martinez 0. Michigan State's conservative, pro-style offense came out with a 5 wide look to open the 2nd quarter. Reserve CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste would pop the ball loos on a short drag route, and Baker Steinkuhler would fall on it. In drive 3, Martinez replaced Carnes at QB. Martinez would hit Jamal Turner only to see Turner get blown up and Michigan State score their first points on a scoop and score. Carnes would come out again, and he wouldn't handle the benching well. Trying to make a play and cement himself as QB 1, Carnes would lock in on Kenny Bell and throw a strike write to Spartan CB Dennard, related to former Husker Alfonzo Dennard. The play would set up a jump ball TD and Michigan State had the lead. Carnes 0, Martinez 0.
Hail Varsity - Season 1 421A0001_19_GR_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_Hea
Michigan State came out again looking to extend their lead. But the drive would stall around midfield. On 4th down, the punter would instead look to pass. Once the coverage broke down, the punter fired the ball to a wide open receiver who would drop the pass. Carnes would follow up and make them pay hitting Jamal Turner as time expired in the half to take a lead again. Carnes 1, Martinez 0.

The third quarter was a stalemate with nobody making any moves.

However, in the fourth quarter, Martinez would man the offense and lead a scoring drive to extend the Nebraska lead. The drive was topped off by Rex Burkhead rushing in from 18 yards out. Carnes 1, Martinez 1.

Michigan State would immediately follow up with a drive of their own. QB Andrew Maxwell would find Spartan RB Capers wiiiiide open on a wheel route and this game was tight. Nebraska could not run out the clock and had to punt. From the 13 yard line, MSU had one more chance. on 3nd down and short, Chase Rome would sack Maxwell deep in the backfield for the first sack of the game. MSU couldn't convert on 4th down, and Nebraska would kneel out the clock.

Final Score
Nebraska 24
Michigan State 21
Player of the Game
QB Taylor Martinez

He only led the team in rushing in his first game back. He also only had 1 incompletion in limited attempts. Martinez was near perfect. Carnes scored the points, but also turned it over. This following week in practice is going to be intense.

Nebraska is still chasing an undefeated Iowa team in the Big Ten West (Legends division). Even if Nebraska runs the gauntlet, they need Iowa to lose another one. The home stretch of the season is mighty important. Nebraska can ill afford any mind-lapses like UCLA and Northwestern.
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 pm
Week 11
Martinez was on fire. Penn State was nearly invisible in their all white uni's on a snow background. Check out the crazy DE interception.
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:59 am
Week 12
Minnesota's Offensive Tackles are really bad. Cameron Meredith and Joseph Carter abused them all game whether I was blitzing or not.
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
LocationOmaha, NE

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 pm
Week 13
Next stop, Big Ten Championship Game.
Steel Pitt
Steel Pitt
LocationNew York

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:08 pm
the_EDJ wrote:Week 13
Next stop, Big Ten Championship Game.

Nice job with the highlights man. Taylor Martinez is a beast running that option. He was literally pulling away from those Iowa defenders.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum