American Armchair League of America
Please login to ensure the most complete experience possible. To access the forums, click the 'Home' Link on the navigation bar up top. The homepage is the 'Portal' that the website defaults to.

This is a Playstation, sim-style community. Cheap, lobby-style tactics are not tolerated. Once logged in, you will have access to all sub forums hidden from guests, as well as images and links. Let us know if you have any questions.

AALoA Madden Commish: the_EDJ
Madden co-commish: GoingCommandoAZ, King_Hippo72

Fortnite Commish: lArlstol, GRIZZ, the_EDJ

Destiny Commish: Tonethewellknown

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to ensure the most complete experience possible. To access the forums, click the 'Home' Link on the navigation bar up top. The homepage is the 'Portal' that the website defaults to.

This is a Playstation, sim-style community. Cheap, lobby-style tactics are not tolerated. Once logged in, you will have access to all sub forums hidden from guests, as well as images and links. Let us know if you have any questions.

AALoA Madden Commish: the_EDJ
Madden co-commish: GoingCommandoAZ, King_Hippo72

Fortnite Commish: lArlstol, GRIZZ, the_EDJ

Destiny Commish: Tonethewellknown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Steel Pitt
Steel Pitt
NCAA 11, 13, 14 BCS Champ
NCAA 11, 13, 14 BCS Champ
Yards : 4180
Swagger : 85
LocationNew York
Fave NFL Team : Pittsburgh Steelers

WR Screen  Empty WR Screen

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:53 am
WR Screen

I have found that the WR Screen pass (not mid screen or bubble screen) can be an effective play to pick up 5-10 yards and even more when called at the right time.

The three things I look for are a formation, CB alignment and the CB's first step.

1. Formation - I have had some success running it to the 2 and 3 WR side but I find that more often than not the LB or safety defending the slot WR's disrupt the play and shoot out to the WR getting the screen before the blocks are set up. 

2. CB Alignment - Once I break the huddle I check to see if the CB is playing off or in bump and run.  If the CB is in bump and run then I automatically audible to another play because nothing good seems to come from running that play against a CB in bump coverage (its either deflected or picked).  If the CB is off, then I stick to the play and move on to my third read.

3. CB's first step - Just because the CB is playing off doesn't mean you're in the clear.  Depending on the defense, the CB will sometimes play off and on the snap of the ball make a hard move towards the WR.  So at the snap of the ball, I check the CB's first step.  If he backs off or stays put I throw the screen, if he charges forward I tuck it and run and live to call another play.

I've found this play to be effective for downs and distances up to 10 yards, but it can easily go for more if you catch the defense in a bad set or blitzing, etc.

*** - Keep in mind that this is just an example using NCAA13.  The WR Screen may not be as effective or run the same on NCAA14. ***

Last edited by Steel Pitt on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
truth_n_babylon
truth_n_babylon
Pro Rookie
Pro Rookie
Yards : 472
Swagger : 9
Fave NFL Team : Cincinnati Bengals
Fave NCAA Team : Cincinnati Bearcats

WR Screen  Empty Re: WR Screen

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:34 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
The newly added smoke screen hot route is a great addition. It will be good for a quick 5 yards if the corner is playing soft.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum