American Armchair League of America
Please login to ensure the most complete experience possible. To access the forums, click the 'Home' Link on the navigation bar up top. The homepage is the 'Portal' that the website defaults to.

This is a Playstation, sim-style community. Cheap, lobby-style tactics are not tolerated. Once logged in, you will have access to all sub forums hidden from guests, as well as images and links. Let us know if you have any questions.

AALoA Madden Commish: the_EDJ
Madden co-commish: GoingCommandoAZ, King_Hippo72

Fortnite Commish: lArlstol, GRIZZ, the_EDJ

Destiny Commish: Tonethewellknown

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to ensure the most complete experience possible. To access the forums, click the 'Home' Link on the navigation bar up top. The homepage is the 'Portal' that the website defaults to.

This is a Playstation, sim-style community. Cheap, lobby-style tactics are not tolerated. Once logged in, you will have access to all sub forums hidden from guests, as well as images and links. Let us know if you have any questions.

AALoA Madden Commish: the_EDJ
Madden co-commish: GoingCommandoAZ, King_Hippo72

Fortnite Commish: lArlstol, GRIZZ, the_EDJ

Destiny Commish: Tonethewellknown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down

Who wins the Mayweather vs Ortiz fight?

3 - 100%
0 - 0%

Total Votes: 3

Steel Pitt
Steel Pitt
NCAA 11, 13, 14 BCS Champ
NCAA 11, 13, 14 BCS Champ
Yards : 4180
Swagger : 85
LocationNew York
Fave NFL Team : Pittsburgh Steelers

Mayweather vs Ortiz Empty Mayweather vs Ortiz

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 am
So fight fans, is anyone watching the Mayweather vs Ortiz fight this weekend? I'm too cheap to pay teh PPV and too lazy to go watch it at a bar or Dave&Busters, etc ... but I am interested, LOL. I think this will be a good challenge for Mayweather. He's dominated his recent opponents but they were all big names and not necessarily big time fighters any more (Juda, Hatton, De La Hoya, Mosely). Ortiz has some power but and is a bigger fighter that could cause problems for Mayweather.

There's a lot of reasons to pick Ortiz (youth, size, strength) but I have a hard time picking against Mayweather. With Ortiz's suspect chin, I wonder if Mayweather has the power to knock him out?

What do you think?
the_EDJ
the_EDJ
NCAA 11, 12, 14; Madden 15, 18 Champ
NCAA 11, 12, 14; Madden 15, 18 Champ
Yards : 7633
Swagger : 37
LocationOmaha, NE
Fave NFL Team : Chicago Bears
Fave NCAA Team : Nebraska Cornhuskers

Mayweather vs Ortiz Empty Re: Mayweather vs Ortiz

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:17 pm
Can't say that I have any interest in boxing whatsoever. Or UFC for that matter. But Charles Barkley wants Mayweather, so I'll side with him. haha
SquirrelHunter
SquirrelHunter
NCAA 13, Madden 15 Champ
NCAA 13, Madden 15 Champ
Yards : 980
Swagger : 18
Fave NFL Team : San Francisco 49ers
Fave NCAA Team : Oregon State Beavers

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:04 am
i just can't see mayweather losing to anyone but pacquiao, and i can't see pacquiao losing to anyone but mayweather...
GoingCommandoAZ
GoingCommandoAZ
Madden 12 Super Bowl Champ
Madden 12 Super Bowl Champ
Yards : 1095
Swagger : 36
LocationPhoenix, AZ
Fave NFL Team : Minnesota Vikings
Fave NCAA Team : Florida Gators

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:55 am
All I can say about that fight was damn! Talk about controversial. Mayweather is a punk. Didn't like him before and hate him now. I wanna see Manny annihilate him. That was also the best post fight interview I've ever seen. I think Larry Merchant could take him.
illmatic717
illmatic717
Madden 12, 15 Super Bowl Champ
Yards : 1291
Swagger : 33
LocationPittsburgh
Fave NFL Team : Atlanta Falcons
Fave NCAA Team : Penn State Nittany Lions

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:36 am
I didn't get the fight but I called a friend of mine who was watching it right after the knockout. Pretty shitty way to end a fight, with a headbutt and then a cheap shot of sorts. Floyd's interview though was hilarious from what I heard. I remember back in 2006ish Floyd fought someone and got into it with Larry in the post-fight. I remember watching it at a buddy's place and laughing my ass off.

I'm a casual boxing fan but I really do think that Floyd has played a good part in the decline of boxing. The rise of MMA is a bigger reason, but if you look through past generations of fighters, Floyd is different in two aspects. 1) He's not really THAT exciting or a knockout guy. He isn't Lennox or Foreman or Tyson. He's amazingly skilled and quick and methodical, which wins fights but doesn't really bring the 'wow factor.' And 2) He is still dodging Manny. I never saw the greats dodge fights, and it's so obvious that floyd and Manny are on another level than anyone else in the world. Their PPV money would just be astronomical. For awhile I thought they were just trying to get the fight more and more hyped, but now I think it really won't happen.

I guess you don't get to this level of success by not having an ego, and that's really what this is in my opinion. Floyd could drop the testing issue or Manny could just agree to it, but both guys can't forget about their ego for 2 seconds and don't want to be told what to do by the other guy. Which is a shame because it's costing them like $100 million and costing the fans one of the best fights we'll ever see.
illmatic717
illmatic717
Yards : 1291
Swagger : 33
LocationPittsburgh
Fave NFL Team : Atlanta Falcons
Fave NCAA Team : Penn State Nittany Lions

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:55 pm
I finally saw video of the fight (the knockout and headbutt) and the post-fight interview. NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THIS WAS SET UP. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that this was completely arranged beforehand by the fighters.

First off, there was no reason for Ortiz to go for his second apology or whatever he was doing. Then when Floyd hits him the first time, Ortiz doesn't even move. No reaction whatsoever. I realize that these are professional boxers and things are happening quickly, but Ortiz didn't even make an attempt to put his hands up or anything. He just stood there waiting for the second punch which Floyd delivered. And those punches were weak in terms of boxing. Floyd was loafing on those punches. Ortiz went down and could have gotten up before a 10 count but fake stumbled around on the canvas. Sitting in the corner he looked totally fine.

After the fight, you'd have thought the guys were best friends. How many different times did they hug and share a laugh? Like 3 or 4 seperate times. No animosity whatsoever for a cheap shot. Ortiz was smiling ear to ear talking with Floyd. And just judging by how Floyd talked in the post-fight interview and how both boxers reacted, it's so ridiculously obvious to me it was all staged. Floyd said in his post-fight that Ortiz could get a rematch. Lol, nobody can tell me they didn't plan this so there would be a definite rematch which will surely draw even more PPV buyers on the rematch. Plus it gives floyd another reason to dodge Manny now that he has another fighter to fight which will bring in a large audience.

Unbelievable nobody is talking about this. Completely staged.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum