American Armchair League of America
Please login to ensure the most complete experience possible. To access the forums, click the 'Home' Link on the navigation bar up top. The homepage is the 'Portal' that the website defaults to.

This is a Playstation, sim-style community. Cheap, lobby-style tactics are not tolerated. Once logged in, you will have access to all sub forums hidden from guests, as well as images and links. Let us know if you have any questions.

AALoA Madden Commish: the_EDJ
Madden co-commish: GoingCommandoAZ

AALoA NCAA Commish: SteelPitt16

AALoA NHL Commish: the_EDJ

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Steel Pitt
NCAA 11, 13, 14 BCS Champ
Yards : 4168
Swagger : 83
LocationNew York
Fave NFL Team : Pittsburgh Steelers

NCAA14.5 Pre-Season Report

on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:25 am
First topic message reminder :

Pre-Season Report

Welcome back NCAA fans.  EA may have shut down production but that hasn't stopped us from entering into our 5th installment of the AALoA NCAA Dynasty.  As NFL teams draw closer to making final cuts and college teams put the final touches on their gameplans for opening weekend, the AALoA prepares for ...

AALoA NCAA14.5 Dynasty

The member list for the latest installment of the NCAA Dynasty is not packed as in past years but what it lacks in volume it makes up for in value.  Confirmed to return for NCAA14.5 are Mr. Denham (a second year member who came on the scene with a bang and quickly established himself as a force in the AALoA), Steel Pitt (a founding member and former National Champion), MrMustard (another original member and perennial power regardless of what team he uses), Truth_n_babylon (yet another original member and one of the more creative defensive minds in the game), X--Nike (a former member returing to the college ranks where he has displayed a knack for being a Giant Killer and showing off a creative offensive mind) and newcomer Scruburbia (still to be confirmed).

With the change in season has come a change of addresses as well.  The coaching landscape is set to change as these powerhouse coaches have yet to accept coaching positions are the country.  Where will they end up?  A powerhouse school ready to make a run at the title?  A mid-level school looking to make the move from good to championship relevant? Or perhaps, an after-thought school looking to make a name for themselves in the college football landscape?

Either way, this installment looks to be a hotly contested one and with that hopefully an enjoyable one for everybody.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
PSN ID: SteelPitt16                Twitch ID: SteelPitt16

Madden17 Franchise
Philadelphia Eagles
2016: 9-6 (2-3 NFC East)

NCAA Dynasty
BCS National Champions
NCAA14 (Iowa Hawkeyes)
NCAA13 (Virginia Cavaliers)
NCAA11 (Syracuse Orange)

Steel Pitt

Re: NCAA14.5 Pre-Season Report

on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:07 pm
MeanMrMustard wrote:I'm done I think. The recruiting board was greyed out for me. I'm assuming coordinators can't do that this year? Thought they let you recruit even as an OC/DC in coaching carousel a couple years back, but maybe I'm misremembering.

I believe its greyed out to start when you don't have any recruits on your board.  You need to go to Search or All-Prospects and search for the recruits there.  Once you add a recruit then the recruiting board becomes accessible.
MeanMrMustard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran
Yards : 1044
Swagger : 28
LocationIndianapolis
Fave NFL Team : Dallas Cowboys
Fave NCAA Team : Missouri Tigers

on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:55 pm
Steel Pitt wrote:
MeanMrMustard wrote:I'm done I think. The recruiting board was greyed out for me. I'm assuming coordinators can't do that this year? Thought they let you recruit even as an OC/DC in coaching carousel a couple years back, but maybe I'm misremembering.

I believe its greyed out to start when you don't have any recruits on your board.  You need to go to Search or All-Prospects and search for the recruits there.  Once you add a recruit then the recruiting board becomes accessible.

Oooh. Duh. OK, I'll try that tomorrow.
dre1479
NCAA 14 BCS Champ
NCAA 14 BCS Champ
Yards : 217
Swagger : 6
LocationTuscaloosa, AL
Fave NFL Team : New York Giants
Fave NCAA Team : Alabama, Arizona State

on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:45 pm
I'm done.
truth_n_babylon
Pro Rookie
Pro Rookie
Yards : 472
Swagger : 9
Fave NFL Team : Cincinnati Bengals
Fave NCAA Team : Cincinnati Bearcats

on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:05 pm
I am done with preseason. I just need to work on my playbooks.
Steel Pitt
LocationNew York

on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:29 pm
truth_n_babylon wrote:I am done with preseason. I just need to work on my playbooks.

No problem.  no need to feel rushed.  I have no problem starting on Friday as originally planned.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Madden17 Franchise
Philadelphia Eagles

NCAA Dynasty
BCS National Champions
NCAA14 (Iowa Hawkeyes)
NCAA11 (Syracuse Orange)
Steel Pitt
LocationNew York

on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:08 am
Anyone else really getting football fever with the start of the NFL seaosn righ around the corner, the college football season about to kickoff tomorrow and of course Madden being released yesterday?

Speaking of which, did any you NCAA heads pick up Madden yesterday? PS3 version?  Early thoughts?

Madden17 Franchise
Philadelphia Eagles

NCAA Dynasty
BCS National Champions
NCAA14 (Iowa Hawkeyes)
NCAA11 (Syracuse Orange)
Steel Pitt
LocationNew York

on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:13 am
FYI

I am just going to stick with the original plan of starting on Friday regardless (rather than open up early).  I know many of us are using new teams, experimenting with new styles, etc so even if you are done with your pre-season tasks the extra time will allow you to work on your playbook, adjust to the personnel in practice mode, etc.

Madden17 Franchise
Philadelphia Eagles

NCAA Dynasty
BCS National Champions
NCAA14 (Iowa Hawkeyes)
NCAA11 (Syracuse Orange)
Steel Pitt
LocationNew York

on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:52 am
With one day left before the season kicks off what are some of the things / players you are looking forward to playing with as it relates to your team.

Here are some of mine:

- I don't have any specific players that jump out at you.  Nobody that made me say, ooohh I have to see what he has.  However, in trying to turn a triple option team into a more traditional offense it will be interesting to see how the QB's progress.  I have four QB's that can all tote the rock if needed, but can any of them pass? I want to see who emerges as my long term starting QB.  Nate Romine will get the first look but its a mystery as to whether anyone my QB's can sling the rock.

- Recruiting should be fun.  One thing I noticed as I was doing my pre-season scouting is that my Head Coach (Troy Calhoun) is a Level 17 (i believe) but he used the majority of his points on game management instead of recruiting, so I still only get to see 10% of the attributes for every 50 points used.  This will make recruiting interesting as I can't afford to spend too much time on a potential bust being a little guy in the recruiting game.

- As I take over the offense (I signed up as the OC) I'm hoping to turn aroun d a sputtering offense but it will be interesting to see how my defense holds up under the CPU's control considering they were one of the worst in the country last year.  I'm hoping to jump start the offense but I don't think I have the personnel to win too many shootouts.

Madden17 Franchise
Philadelphia Eagles

NCAA Dynasty
BCS National Champions
NCAA14 (Iowa Hawkeyes)
NCAA11 (Syracuse Orange)
MeanMrMustard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran
Yards : 1044
Swagger : 28
LocationIndianapolis
Fave NFL Team : Dallas Cowboys
Fave NCAA Team : Missouri Tigers

on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:46 pm
Still haven't done my recruiting. Been a crazy month at work... They forced everyone in the newsroom to re-apply and interview for our jobs in this massive restructuring they're doing. Really, they're laying off about 15% of the staff, but "restructuring" sounds better. Not real worried about my own job security, but still. Not pleasant. Fortunately, my interviews are done, so I'm just waiting for the job announcements next week.

But on to more important things, like SMU Mustang football:

* Pretty stoked about my QB. His arm's nothing special, but he's got some serious wheels, and he's only a sophomore. Tons of quality targets, too. I was shocked how stacked this team is at WR. A bit worried about how my offensive line will hold up, but it's not like I'll be going up against SEC fronts or anything, so they may be serviceable.

* HC June Jones' points were split fairly evenly between recruiting and game management, iirc, so that'll be nice. Should give me a nice boost in recruiting year one that I wouldn't have had as a HC. Not sure what'll happen if/when we move up to head coaching jobs. Do we keep our coaching level and get a new allocation of points to spend on the coaching tree instead of coordinator tree?

* My defense seems pretty balanced. Actually, the entire team was better than I thought they'd be talent-wise, given that SMU didn't even make a bowl game last year.

* Interested to see how the Run and Shoot goes for me. I'm gonna go with SMU's default book until I get a feel for the style, and then create my own playbook as I go along. Currently planning on running the no huddle, which is a first for me.
Steel Pitt
LocationNew York

on Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:38 pm
MeanMrMustard wrote:Still haven't done my recruiting. Been a crazy month at work... They forced everyone in the newsroom to re-apply and interview for our jobs in this massive restructuring they're doing. Really, they're laying off about 15% of the staff, but "restructuring" sounds better. Not real worried about my own job security, but still. Not pleasant. Fortunately, my interviews are done, so I'm just waiting for the job announcements next week.

But on to more important things, like SMU Mustang football:

* Pretty stoked about my QB. His arm's nothing special, but he's got some serious wheels, and he's only a sophomore. Tons of quality targets, too. I was shocked how stacked this team is at WR. A bit worried about how my offensive line will hold up, but it's not like I'll be going up against SEC fronts or anything, so they may be serviceable.

* HC June Jones' points were split fairly evenly between recruiting and game management, iirc, so that'll be nice. Should give me a nice boost in recruiting year one that I wouldn't have had as a HC. Not sure what'll happen if/when we move up to head coaching jobs. Do we keep our coaching level and get a new allocation of points to spend on the coaching tree instead of coordinator tree?

* My defense seems pretty balanced. Actually, the entire team was better than I thought they'd be talent-wise, given that SMU didn't even make a bowl game last year.

* Interested to see how the Run and Shoot goes for me. I'm gonna go with SMU's default book until I get a feel for the style, and then create my own playbook as I go along. Currently planning on running the no huddle, which is a first for me.

Sorry to hear about the layoffs but it sounds like you're safe which is good to hear.

I am actually running a personal dynasty in which I started as a coordinator and am now a Head Coach.  First, you can re-allocate your points/bonuses at the end of each season regardless of your level.  Second, when you move on to another coaching position you take your coach level with you, so if you're a level 10 by the time you get a HC gig then you'll be a Level 10 HC.  And like I said, you can allocate those 10 points however you want at the end of each season.  As the HC you'll inherit two coordinators and their ranks (I believe as the HC you can re-allocate thir points each sseason too).

Another good thing about SMU is that they're in the American Conference which still gets an automatic bid to a BCS Bowl if you win the regular season (in this game anyway).

Good luck with the no huddle.  That can be more than a handful to deal with defensively once you get comfortable with the playbook and get a feel for how you want to call plays.  When I won the National Championship with Iowa, some of my biggest success (especially in big user games) was when I put in my true freshmen QB Jason Wade (whom I stole from you in recruiting, lol) and ran a no huddle package.

Madden17 Franchise
Philadelphia Eagles

NCAA Dynasty
BCS National Champions
NCAA14 (Iowa Hawkeyes)
NCAA11 (Syracuse Orange)
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum